Old postcards tell the tale: the Bellevue was once an airy hotel enthroned on a hill, peaceful and surrounded by an extensive park of large trees. It was built – following the destruction by fire of the original building in 1931 – by the architects Urfer & Stähli, who had made their name with their progressive swimming pool structures in Interlaken and Wengen. The choice of architects was audacious and did not meet with unanimous approval in the village, as the architecture and plans were thoroughly modern.
Following the spirit of the times, the owners in the 70s and 80s adopted a rustic style. The large windows in the restaurant disappeared. The core of the house and its facade, however, remained untouched.
The original, Classical Modern style, Bellevue served as a reference for architects Buchner Bründler from Basel. They were employed in 2006, 2008, 2009 and 2013 to renovate the restaurants, 22 rooms, the indoor pool with baths and saunas and the lobby. Using generous flowing outlines and light-flooded rooms they returned the building to its original character while also giving it a new perspective for the future.