1901 | Fritz Allenbach, a teacher, has the Hotel Bellevue constructed out of wood, with side towers and oriels. At this time in Adelboden, quite a number of other hotels are also springing up. The hotel boom prompts teachers and farmers to try to make their fortunes - or at least to maintain a secure existence – by going into these new ventures in much the same way as the Gold Hunters have done in America. Whole families help to provide the capital required to finance the construction work. At the same time, Adelboden is undergoing a form of ‘colonisation’ by hoteliers from the inner Oberlands, which have already become popular with English tourists some fifty to seventy years earlier. Because these areas have already become saturated with hotels by the turn of century, attention now turns to the still undisturbed Engstligental. With the outbreak of the First World War, the blooming tourist industry suffers its first setback. Visitors stay away and hotel bookings fall considerably.
1919 | After the end of the war, the hotel is taken over by the Kantonalbank of Bern (now the Bernese Kantonalbank) and converted into what is for its day, a modern hotel. The en-suite bathtubs fulfil the highest standards of comfort. The hotel is run as a recuperation centre by Dr. G. Schaer as in-house doctor and Mr. A. Wenger as general director. From now on it is known as Parkhotel Bellevue.
1924 | At the end of winter, an avalanche descends from Schwandfeldspitz – there are no avalanche barricades at this time – into the valley, breaking down the wall of the hotel’s dining room. Waiters are there at the time, preparing the room for lunch. Fortunately, nobody is injured or worse. Even today, some of Adelboden’s older generation still speak about this spectacular occurrence.
1926 | Newlyweds Hans and Elisabeth Richard-Bohren buy the hotel. However, they find it problematic with the sanatorium, where Dr. Schaer cares for his sick patients. Hans, but especially Elisabeth - who comes from a family of Grindelwald hoteliers and herself grew up with her six brothers and sisters in the Grandhotel Regina – have a traditional hotel more in mind This leads to a conflict of aims with Dr. Schaer, and finally the Richards part company with him.
1928 | Birth of the first child, Hans Rudolf.
1931 | Birth of the second child, Beat Peter.
In March the hotel is completely destroyed by fire. The exact cause is unclear to this day, but an electrical short-circuit is suspected. In the same year, the hotel is rebuilt in a modern style in stone by architects Urfer & Stähli from Interlaken. They have also been responsible for the modern swimming pool constructions in Interlaken and Wengen. The insurance payout is way too small to finance the building of the new hotel.
1935 | Hans Richard dies from tuberculosis aged 41. His widow continues to run the hotel alone for the time being. Shortly, she is joined by her brother Hans and later her widowed father- but he dies from a heart attack on New Years Eve 1937.
1943 | A key date in the hotel’s history is General Guisan’s visit together with his military commanders on the occasion of the Swiss army ski championships.
1944 | The government requisitions the hotel for military purposes and billets 30-40 American pilots as internees. «Normal guests» can no longer be accommodated. This action happens despite Swiss neutrality – for the internment of American pilots who have emergency-landed prevents further bombardment of Germany. The American flyers – all of them officers or NCOs – are not expected to be housed in an internment camp. Indeed, the government permits them to be lodged together with a detachment of guards at the hotel. This means that the Americans can continue with their luxurious way of life, and they live like lords. Proof, if it is needed, is the unbeaten record for whisky sales at this time.
The Second World War and post-war years create the greatest difficulties in the history of the hotel. Even after peace has been declared, the guests stay away – the Swiss choosing to go abroad, and foreigners having insufficient money to travel to Switzerland. Recovery comes only in the mid 1950s, thanks largely to the introduction of paid holidays, which are becoming more and more common at all levels of society.
1958 The hotel is extended with a single-storey annexe on the south-west side. It houses a new dining room as well as a basement games room for adults with indoor curling and indoor golf.
1964 | The building work of 1964 is a milestone in the development of the hotel. At the rear, a modern, working kitchen with store and refrigeration is constructed. At the same time, the outlines for staff accommodation and private flats are set down. From 1964, both sons, Hans Rudolf and Beat, work for the family business.